Rhapsody in Blue by the Dudley House Big Band
Ryan Banagale is not only a talented musicologist, but also a musician, and a very generous one. He shared with the big band his research on Duke Ellington's interest in George Gershwin's famous Rhapsody in Blue. The result is this unique program that we'll be performing together tomorrow.
I am blessed to lead first class musicians in the band. After a semester of weekly rehearsals, we are now ready with powerful sections that sound great. And it's just a pure pleasure to listen to the soloists. Whether they are graduate students in physics, mathematics, romance languages, or other fields, they really know what jazz is all about! I hope to see you at the concert:
Saturday December 12th, 2009
Dudley House (Lehman Hall) - Harvard Yard
Cambridge, MA, USA
Among the greatest American artists around Geoge Gershwin!
- Strike Up The Band (George & Ira Gershwin, arrangement Sammy Nestico)
- Fascinating Rhythm (George & Ira Gershwin, arrangement Ethan Fenn) - World Première!
- Rhapsody In Blue (George Gershwin, arrangement 1932 by Duke Ellington)
- Rhapsody In Blue (arrangement 1962 by Billy Strayhorn for Duke Ellington's Orchestra)
- Our Love Is Here To Stay (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)
- Summertime (George Gershwin, Dubose & Dorothy Heyward, Ira Gershwin, arrangement Roger Holmes)
- Summertime (arrangement Bill Potts)
- Rhapsody In Blue (arrangement ca. 1971 by Bill Holman for Stan Kenton's Orchestra)
- The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson, arrangement Dave Tanner)
- Big Foot (David Sanborn & Marcus Miller, arrangement Mark Taylor)
The second part of the concert will be performed by the Dudley House creative combo, stay for them, too!
I just read with interest the program for the above concert. I am wondering if you would know or could ask someone who would know whether the arrangements mentioned above are copyrighted arrangements or whether these arrangements are in the public domain and can be used by anyone without asking permission of those arrangers or offering them fees.
Please contact me using firstname.lastname@example.org if you can provide an answer to my question.
Dear Mike, thanks for the question.ReplyDelete
Almost all of the arrangements are available as big band charts.
As far as I know, only 2 arrangements are not for sale: Fascinating Rhythm arranged by Ethan Fenn - unpublished, and the 1932 Ellington's version of Rhapsody In Blue - unpublished. The other 2 versions of Rhapsody in Blue are available through usual sheet music resellers.