New Musical Instruments Concert
Coming up on Friday: New Musical Instruments Concert with special guest Andrew Bentley, Professor of Music Technology at the Sibelius Academy, Helsinki University. This will be Concert #10 in the Center for New Music Season. Event takes place at 7:30 p.m. in the Voxman Recital Hall, University of Iowa.
One of the projects the students worked on consisted in building a synth using a glass jar. Here is a preview of the instruments in their October version:
Among the new pieces, we are going to perform my composition Electroclarinet 4, for Eb clarinet & analog synthesizer. The synthesizer is akin to a non-input mixer, made with guitar pedals. Andrew Bentley will be performing on this instrument. The circuit includes several levels of feedback:
- Metal Choir (collective installation)
- Electroclarinet 4 (Jean-François Charles)
- Focus (Andrew Novitskiy)
- Synths-in-Bottles (collective creation)
- Songs of Tomorrow (Mauricio Da Silva)
- Impressions (Alexander Toth)
- Lineation-Transmutation (Joseph Norman)
- Tape Piece (Andrew Bentley)
- New Instruments Medley (collective creation) featuring nuages, pills, a Seachord, stompboxes, a decomposition video, an upcycled guitar pickup, and Andrew Bentley's LED true-digital synthesizer.