Fulbright Afternoon of Music 2009
Amateur and professional musicians performed a colorful program including pop music, traditional music, classical music, contemporary classical music, and jazz. I brought a basic setup to perform a pedagogical and musical presentation with clarinet and live electronics.
- Maximo Gurméndez, piano, guitar, voice, sang in English and Uruguayan: Don't let the sun go down on me (Elton John) and Al otro lado del rio (Jorge Drexler)
- June Park, piano, violin, performed a Haydn piano sonata, a new composition of hers "Nighttime Wanderer part 2", and a Korean song
- I performed semi-improvised music with clarinet and live electronics (Max/MSP/Jitter on my laptop, an amp, here you go)
- Cédric Hanriot, piano, invited Ben Powell, violin, to perform a Bill Evans standard and a Waltz of his own.
- Carlos O. Mendivil-Anaya, piano, performed Astor Piazzola piano pieces and Milonga in D with Leslie Levi
- For a spiritual ending, Leslie Levi, violin, performed Massenet's Méditation de Thaïs, accompanied by June Park
I was happy to put together the program and coordinate the artists. But most importantly, I was lucky to meet such great persons! Thanks to all of them.
Here are two pictures of the 2007 Fulbright Afternoon of Music (I believe the pictures were taken by Agnes Erenyi). We were performing my composition Nigritella nigra for clarinet and string quartet, with Ariadna Rodriguez and Peter Deckers, violins, Sidney Solow, viola, and Blaise Dejardin, violoncello.