We just had a great run of rehearsals last week with percussionist Maxime Échardour.
Maxime really enjoyed the sound of the bells built from recycled materials by musician & maker Van Hien Bui:
Van-Hien also built a cimbalom that Maxime is going to play:
The list of instruments featured for the première will look like:
- vibraphone with motor (3 octaves is enough)
- 3 toms
- 4 DIY bells, tuned to C#, D, G, F# (left to right for the performer)
- a F# Thai gong
- a F# ancient cymbal - crotale
- a DIY cimbalom and a DIY mono string instrument
- hidden behind the cimbalom on the pic below, an electronic Farfisa F326 keyboard!
- no bongos: we ended-up not using the ones on the pic below.
For the Chanson section, 4th part of the score, I wrote out a possible realization just for Maxime to play mainly on the vibraphone: