Dudley House Music Festival - First Edition
As one of the house music fellows, I am proud to announce the first Dudley House Music Festival. It is taking place this Sunday, May 10th, 2009 in Dudley House Main Dining Hall.
The Chorus will kick off the event with Haydn's Theresa Mass conducted by Michael Barrett.
Then, the World Music Ensemble will perform music from around the world, including original arrangements and new compositions. Multi-instrumentalist Behtash Babadi is the musical director.
Jazz Creative Combo & Big Band
The jazz combo's philosophy is to play creative jazz and have fun. By bringing in new arrangements of old music, or brand new compositions, we try and keep the spark of jazz well alive.
The Big Band during the recent Spring Swing
Picture by Jonathan Ruel, Café Gato Rojo manager
I am very happy to feature in the Big Band program the music of great composers. Duke Ellington, "of course", will be represented with two works. But we will perform as well unpublished works by Bob Mintzer and Mathias Rüegg, two majors big band leaders in the United States and in Europe.
The big band program
- And the Angels Sing Johnny Mercer and Ziggy Elman, Benny Goodman band, 1939
- Concerto for Cootie Duke Ellington, 1940
- Starfire Benny Golson, Maynard Ferguson band, 1959
- Theme from The Asphalt Jungle Duke Ellington, 1961
- Coconut Champagne Denis Di Blasio, Maynard Ferguson band, 1983
- Modern Day Tuba Bob Mintzer, 1993
- Albert Einstein - Time is what you feel Mathias Rüegg, 2005
- Josephine Baker - She need never regret! Mathias Rüegg, 2005
See you on Sunday! You will never regret.